One of the rather famous-for-beginners mountain, I remember Mt. Batulao as the hike along the ridge of its nine peaks with a consistent breathtaking view.
I’ve hiked here twice, the first with new trail – old trail (March 2015) and the second with old trail – new trail (November 2015). I would recommend the new trail – old trail considering the new trail is along the ridge and the old trail is within the forest.
How to get there
- Take the bus to KM18 (PHP150ish). Get off at Evercrest Golf Course.
- Take the tricycle to jump off. (PHP50ish???). Hold on for dear life.
- To go back, take the tricycle to go back. Rather than wait for the bus to pass, we usually take a jeepney either to a bus terminal or to a restaurant nearby (hello, bulalo).
- I still recommend Mt. Pamitinan as a first mountain – but Mt. Batulao is a close second.
- Prepare for the sun. I had a tan line on my neck my first hike here.
- There’s a rope segment. If it’s new trail – old trail, you’ll be going down the rope, and vice versa. Choose wisely. 😉
- For goodness sake, do not come when it’s raining. You’re on a ridge and an averagely narrow trail. Do not add slippery to the mix.