August 19, 2016
Finally got my HP12c calculator!
As with any other kid, I am so excited to get my new calculator! It’s a requirement for grad school, and it was a difficult decision for me (as if).
- Buy the new one in the Philippines (PHP5,000)
- Buy discounted one in Japan (pass me down of the older batch) (less than half the price)
Upon careful consideration, and feedback from my spoiled-but-on-her-way-to-CFA-level-3 friend, I’ve pushed through with the new one. Why?
- The one I’m buying is the platinum version. The newest, almost-a-decade-old version vs the older almost-half-a century-old version (I think)
- HP12c platinum has an undo button. That by itself is a big chunk
- I’m not sure if the one being sold in Japan is 12c platinum or not
- As this is a calculator that I’ll probably use until they release a new version (in, say, a couple of decades?), it is better to invest in one item with a more-or-less sure quality (i.e. have not been used for years)
- It’s brand new. :p
So. I need to buy a new one. The question is where?
If I buy in Japan, there’s no certainty I can buy one immediately for my term. I need yen, I need to find the store, I need to speak Japanese, bleh. Too many uncertainties.
It’s better if I buy in Amazon. But the shipping’s a b-, er, pain in the behind, I might not be able to save. I have a future classmate based in the US, but I’d rather not ask a favor.
So the Philippines it is.
There are three official sellers of HP12c in the Philippines. I contacted two:
- National bookstore – no stock. SRP is PHP4,796
- Yutivo – with stock. SRP is PHP4,700.
Yutivo it is.
I emailed Yutivo at firstname.lastname@example.org and got a reply immediately – honestly I don’t think you can go better in terms of customer service. They went to my office, I paid in cash, and voila! I’ve got my new calculator!!!