July 15, 2017
A trek alongside the river and falls of Mt. Kawanori is just the thing to do in summer. As a training hike for Mt. Fuji, my friend and I decided to go up Mt. Kawanori, which, based on the blogs, requires a 6-7 hour hike overall.
Our Actual Itinerary
- 5:15 leave home
- 6:46 take rapid line to Okutama station in Shinjuku. This is the earliest train.
- 8:21 arrive at Okutama station, the last stop. Take a bus going to Kawanoribashi (Bashi is Bridge). This bus is right in front of the station. Take note though, a lot of people take this bus so if you are willing to stand, the just go in. This will take less than 10 minutes.
- 8:45 start hike. We ate a quick snack, took some photos, applied sun screen etc. Take note, somewhere on the hike, you’ll have to choose between going straight to the summit (the tourist way) or pass through the falls (the hiking way). We took the right turn to the falls.
- 10:00ish we arrived at the Falls
- 12:00ish summit. We stayed for a quick 20 minute lunch, and photo ops, then went down. Some of our friends who walk fast got there 40 minutes before us.
- 15:30ish at the station
- 15:45ish back at Okutama to take the rapid line to Shinjuku
- Train from Shinjuku – JPY 1080 (1hr)
- Bus to jump off – JPY260 (or 280?)
We had a side trip, but I figure the return trip should be more or less the same.